Our History

Who We Are:

The First Federal Community Foundation was funded in January, 2015 with a gift of stock and cash from First Northwest Bancorp, the parent company of First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Port Angeles. With this gift, First Federal makes clear its commitment to the bank’s legacy of community support.

Harry DeVine and Perry Brackett, c1942

 

First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Port Angeles first opened for business on March 31, 1923 under the name Lincoln Savings and Loan Association. Lincoln S&L emerged from the challenging years of the Great Depression and World War II with nearly a million dollars in assets, and through sound, conservative management grew along with the community.

 

The 1950s and 1960s were good years for the North Olympic Peninsula, with a thriving economy and solid growth. First Federal grew as well, financing the purchase and construction of new homes for growing families and providing safe and convenient savings accounts.

Board of Directors, 1931

 

In 1971 First Federal opened its first branch office in Sequim, Washington. Its growth continued in subsequent years, with new branch offices located in Forks, Port Townsend and Silverdale.

 

Today First Federal is over $900 million strong, having converted to a publicly-owned stock company. It is proud of its legacy of sound fiscal management, solid growth, and community leadership. Most important, it is committed to the future. Since 1923, First Federal has made a difference in the lives of many. It continues that legacy today, and looks to the future with enthusiasm.

 

First Federal's officers and staff, 1940